ALASKA ANCHORAGE MISSION

Elder Brad Johnson is serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the ALASKA ANCHORAGE MISSION. This blog will include many of the e-mails Elder Johnson sends to his family each week. It will extend from October 6, 2010 to October, 2012.


Sunday, October 9, 2011

Elder Johnson's October 3, 2011 E-Mail

How did you enjoy General Conference and how was the potluck?

General Conference was awesome. I've got 20 pages of notes in my Missionary Notes 1 study journal, which I won't share with you now for sake of time. You can read it in a year, maybe sooner if I decide to mail it home--I've only got 10 pages left in it, which isn't that remarkable; I'm not much of a writer.

The potluck was wonderful. A communion, a feast of hearty food after being spiritually fed. I like attending GC at the meetinghouse. It takes away the casualness experienced at home, makes it more meaningful.

How did you like the plane ride down to Juneau?  Was the plane super small?

It was probably awe-inspiring. The grandeur and beauty was probably breathtaking. The water was probably remarkably blueish-green. There were probably whales the breached the surface of the sea. The islands were probably green, the perfect form of green, the kind of green that Plato would say, Now, that's green. But, honestly, I was unmoved by it. When you're on your mission, your attention is elsewhere. You're concerned about the Work. Your brain's working internally. So I can't really say to be quite honest. Couldn't give you an accurate description, or really much of a description at all--check Elder Record's blog; maybe he's got something.

The plane, a little single-engine thing, fit about 10 people comfortably, was loud enough that you had to yell at the person sitting beside you to have a conversation. It went up, and then it went down, and we were in Juneau.

I will, however, and this is a promise to you, Mom--Dad, too, if he wants to come--I will have to take you on that plane flight sometime if I ever get a job and some money. We'd probably really like it then.

How crazy was it to stay in the Sister’s apartment during Zone Conference?  (Found that out on Hartman’s blog).  Did you sleep in their beds?  Did they know that you were coming?  Where were the sisters?  Was it weird?  Was everything all girly?

Three nights before the flight to Juneau, Sister ***, a sister who was in the MTC with me, called at 10:50 PM at night, which I thought a little odd;  apparently she had permission from the ZLs to call me. And she threatened me and the rest of my District that if we were to touch anything, go through anything, or even think about going through anything, that she would kill us. I was obviously highly offended at the pre-accusation. We, of course, would've never thought about doing anything like that, but it was a fair warning. So I said, "Okay."

The sisters were gone because they had a doctor's appointment to make in Anchorage.

Yes, we slept in their beds.  It was definitely a girl-version of a missionary apartment. Lots of trinkets and stuff.  We slept like babies.

I'll try to make more time for e-mails next week, and I'll give you a more comprehensive discussion of me as a missionary as a year out. What I've learned, what my goals from here are, etc. So look forward to that on Monday. I'm sorry. I'm not the best e-mailing missionary in the world.

Love,

Elder Brad Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment