ALASKA ANCHORAGE MISSION

Elder Brad Johnson is serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the ALASKA ANCHORAGE MISSION. This blog will include many of the e-mails Elder Johnson sends to his family each week. It will extend from October 6, 2010 to October, 2012.


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Elder Johnson's e-mail, March 21, 2011

Hi Dad,
Yeah, I've heard a little about BYU's b-ball success. That's pretty cool.

I should be just fine in my bank account. I've had to spend a little bit of
money from it recently. But I don't anticipate spending anymore for a while.
Thank you for keeping me up-to-date on it; I'm being frugal and am budgeting
my expenses. But I've had a couple unexpected expenditures.

*I was going to ask you if have been able to keep up your work out schedule each morning and continuing eat a pretty healthy diet?  *

I am. I eat a bowl of Cherios every morning.  Then for lunch I have a sandwich or
salad--and then whatever is made for me at dinner. But right now I'm 220, down
from 243, when I left. I imagine I'll lose even more weight once I start running
this summer--whether I have a companion who wants to run or not, I'll make him.

*Did you get your new watch yet?*

I did. It's working wonderfully. Thank you. I'll send the old watch ASAP.

*Are the basketball shoes working out ok? Do you need any other gear?***

They are. Thank you for them. I do not need any other gear as of now.

Thank you so much for everything.

Love,
Elder Johnson
***************************************************** 

Hi Mom,

I did not receive your e-mail last week while I was on the computer. For whatever reason--but I have the letters now. This letter, however, is in response to your most recent one.

I haven't seen the Northern Lights yet. They come out pretty late, and we go to bed early, so it's tough to catch them. But I'm sure I'll get a chance to see them sometime in the next year-and-a-half. Year-and-a-half . . . can you believe I've been out nearly half a year? I just realized that. Time's going by SOOOOO quickly. I'm in no rush, though. A lot more work to be done.

We have been teaching a lot people. That's what we do in the Colony ward. We teach more lessons than any missionaries in Alaska. We taught 38 total lessons last week, nine of which were with members present. We teach all day, every day. In the mornings, though, from 10 to 12, we usually will do service or have district meetings. And we tract a little bit. Haven't had much time to tract yet. But in the four doors I knocked last week, we found four new people who are interested in having us come back and teach them. My tracting success rate is almost 50%--for every two doors I knock, I find one potential investigator.
  
You asked about the rule of three.  I don't know what the rule of three means. If it was you, Lauren and Brittany--we'd be able to come into your house. The Missionary Handbook, however, advises that missionaries have a member when they are visiting with a single woman. But the language says, "When possible;" sometimes it's just not possible. So missionaries must go by the spirit. But we'd walk into the house with three women, without reserve--that wouldn't be a problem.

The mission has emergency evacuation proceedures in the event of a major natural disaster. Don't fear, my dear Mother.

Love,
Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment