Elder Brad Johnson is serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the ALASKA ANCHORAGE MISSION. This blog will include many of the e-mails Elder Johnson sends to his family each week. It will extend from October 6, 2010 to October, 2012.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Elder Johnson's November 28th E-mail

Hi Mom,

1. Have you been warmer this week?

Yes, I had to purchase appropriate headgear and some glove liners (Roughly $45). I was given a pair of boots from a member that will be very sufficient during the rest of my stay in Whitehorse.

2. What did you and Norris do about the beds?  He wasn’t comfortable because of the top bunk?  What was wrong with the top bunk and why wasn’t he comfortable and why didn’t you just take the top bunk?

Nothing really. There's not much we can do because our apartment is too small. Yesterday, however, a less-active sister gave us a twin-size blow-up mattress. Elder Norris slept on that last night. 

3. How tall is that kid? You are 6’1” or 6’ 2”.  What is he? 6’4”?

He's 6'4''.

4. Your letter to Elder Flynn was funny.  You crack me up.  I had to look  up Sisyphus.

Oh, yeah.

5. Also, how do you keep your door locks from freezing?

We borrowed a space heater from the other Elders to keep on during the day. And we no longer lock our door.

6. Was it scary when you couldn’t get in the front door?

Not really. Brother Moore lives next door to us. He'd be tickled to death if we wound up having to bunk in his place while we waited for someone to come open the door.

7. Make sure you send me the president’s letter and/or tell me anything noteworthy (or scary or weird or funny) that has happened this week.  And tell me how you are getting along with the new guys.

Sent the Letter to the Mission President.

Funny Experience:

It's nice to have Elder Norris as a companion because he likes to play basketball. And we can get competitive games going with him around. Saturday morning, during our workout time, we had a pretty competitive game of 21 going. I dove for a ball and in the process completely wrenched my ankle. I rolled it like I've never rolled an ankle before. But consistent with my response to rolled ankles in the past, I walked it off. And I played another two games, then we went to help a guy in the Branch clean out a storage unit. The whole time the ankle was a nagging pain but not too much to cope with.

After the move, we had to run the Family History Center, which is a very sedentary activity. After 30 minutes of sitting, I tried to stand and could not. The ankle hurt so bad. It was swollen, I realized, and beginning to be discolored. We had a lot to do that day, so for our lunch break, we went to Walmart, and Elder Norris pushed me around in a wheelchair so I could buy some ankle wraps and ice packs. That's why I had a $40 expenditure at Walmart.

So I was on crutches for Sunday. But today it's better. I'm off crutches. I should be back in full commission next week.


Elder Johnson   

No comments:

Post a Comment